Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Triple Bottom Line: Marketing and personal responsibility

There's a great post on Seth Godin's Blog about marketing and personal responsibility. Yes, it's old (June 14th, to be exact), but it's a good one, and one that hit a personal note with me.

When I made the decision to become a designer back in 1996(ish), one of the things that became very important to me right out of the gate was this question of getting the paycheck vs. doing what I felt was right. As a result - not that I had the opportunity - I refused to ever work for a cigarette company, no matter how much they would offer me. When I accepted a short-term freelance gig at a marketing studio that counted both an environmental agency and a major oil company (not kidding!) as their clients, I made it clear that I would NOT do work for the oil company. I made what were, for me, tough choices - and choices that went firmly against what well-meaning folks told me I "should" be doing.

I stand by those choices - and I still make them today. And you know what? I'm doing just fine.

No comments: